What is With Streaming Services & Local Channels?

Discussion in 'Cord Cutter Chat' started by olandir, May 30, 2017.

1. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    This is getting beyond frustrating now.

Today, I just saw that DirectTV Now has finally hit Roku. So I thought I'd check it out as an alternative to Sling. Even though it's base price is greater, I was willing to make a switch if we could get local channels.

Again I was thwarted.

I don't live in a small town. I live in Richmond, VA. I don't understand why no streaming service that offers local channels can get them for Richmond. Most of them seem to offer around 20 cities and it's the same 20 cities every time. Sling, CBS AllAccess, Vue, etc. They all have this limitation.

Why is this such an issue? These are huge companies with a lot of influence. How come no one can get it done?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Hopefully, with the recent affiliate deals we have seen, there will be more locals available as well. I also live in a large metropolitan area (not the size of LA or Chicago), and locals are not available yet either.

4. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    This is an old thread but I thought I would reply anyways.
    I live in a really small community in Northern California about 80 miles west of Reno Nevada. We have a local Translator service run by the county that has all the Reno Locals + some of the Sub channels. Everyone in out county is accessed a $25 per year property tax fee to fund it. Its called HoneyLakeTV.ORG and I think it is a great service. I use a Tivo OTA DVR to get all my locals. I do not understand why more communities don't have similar services. I guess the rural mentality to take care of ourselves and not wait for someone else to do it for us.
    The Moral of my story is I do not want to be forced to pay twice for something I already get. I want all Streaming providers to make Locals an optional service. I want to unbundle the programming and pick and choose my poison.
    I can dream can't I. LOL