Greetings from Montana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lomfs24, Jul 3, 2017.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Greetings from Montana everyone! I am new to this forum and hoping to increase my knowledge in order to get a better TV experience. Montana is nice in that antenna farms are developed on mountain tops but it's horrible in that there are mountains. More on that later.

I have having difficulty with multi-path at the moment. Which section of this forum would best handle questions about how to solve multi-path issues? Thank you in advance.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are "multi-path" issues?

4. lomfs24

lomfs24 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome!
    A radio or TV radio signal should travel in a straight light from transmitter to antenna. However, radio signals can bounce of things like the ground, buildings, the atmosphere, etc.... Since there is a speed on radio signals, those signals bouncing take a longer path and therefore reach the antenna slightly behind the straight line signal. The second or slower path is not only slower but also weaker. However if the second path is still pretty strong it decreases your signal to noise ratio and the tuner gets confused and drops everything. I am getting a strong signal but at times the entire channel drops out. Normally it happens more on UHF, however, my UHF channels are rock solid and it's happening on the VHF channels.
    As you might imagine, the channels I want to watch most are on VHF.

5. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Well, to be blunt, this is 100% out of my wheelhouse.

6. lomfs24

lomfs24 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    I'd rather you say that than give me some worthless advise. :)

7. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    No worries as I fully embrace where I am ignorant!